This state-of-the-art engineering building is designed to be a place of collaboration and innovation in education and research for faculty, students, and industry professionals. The building provides space for faculty, collaborative labs for interdisciplinary research, and a center focused on improving recruitment and retention of engineering students.
The building bears the name, and continues the innovative legacy, of Peter (’55) and Rosalie Johnson. Peter Johnson graduated from OSU in 1955 with a degree in chemical engineering. During his distinguished career, Johnson revolutionized battery manufacturing equipment with his trademarked invention for making battery separator envelopes. His tenacity for innovation and his commitment to collaboration fit closely with CBEE’s efforts to emphasize the integration of chemical, biological, and environmental engineering principles and practice to provide work-ready graduates and technical solutions for a sustainable future.
The Johnsons committed $7 million to begin construction on the new facility, leveraging an earlier gift of $10 million from an anonymous donor and $3 million in additional private funds, matched by $20 million in state funds.
Dedicated supporters of Oregon State University, and especially the College of Engineering, the Johnsons have supported all three major priorities of the Campaign for OSU. They created the Pete and Rosalie Johnson Internship program for students, established the Linus Pauling Chair in Chemical Engineering to support faculty excellence, and are the lead donors for the Johnson Hall facility initiative.
Learn More about Johnson Hall