Oregon State University has always been a place with a purpose – making a positive difference on quality of life and the natural world in Oregon and beyond. Through teaching, applied research, innovation, and service, OSU turns ideals into reality with a unique approach characterized by collaboration and strategic focus.
Oregon State is located in Corvallis, a community of 55,000 people situated in the Willamette Valley between Portland and Eugene. Ocean beaches, lakes, rivers, forests, high desert, the rugged Cascade and Coast ranges are all within a 100-mile drive of Corvallis.
Great Place to Call Home
In 1985, OSU alumnus Bert Sperling '74 developed a software program named "Places, U.S.A," which allowed people to enter their personal preferences to find their own best place. Today, Sperling's Best Places is recognized worldwide for providing accessible data to determine the world's best places to live, work, retire, and more. See what Mr. Sperling has to say about Corvallis.
- Corvallis has the highest education level per capita in the country.
- Country Home magazine ranked Corvallis as third “Best Green Places” to live in America.
- RelocateAmerica.com named Corvallis 6th in the top ten U.S. recreational cities.
- Corvallis is one of the least stressful U.S. cities (106 out of 117).
- Sunset Magazine ranks Corvallis as one of the best eco-friendly small towns.
- Livability.com ranks Corvallis 6th on its list of Top 10 College Towns.