Dear OSU and OSU Foundation Colleagues,
Support from OSU friends and alumni through February is $70.5M, a great vote of confidence in what is happening on campus and throughout our state. I thank you again for your continued input, collaboration and enthusiasm as we work to support the university’s strategic goals through fundraising and engagement. Again, we have set a fundraising goal of $103M and a stretch goal of $126M for the fiscal year ending June 30th.
Recent Giving News
Destination OSU – Southern California, Here We Come
This week, Beaver Nation will gather in Southern California for the 17th annual Destination OSU, which is an opportunity for alumni and friends in the region to celebrate OSU’s successes and engage with university leadership. With more than 6,500 OSU alumni in the region – the sixth largest concentration in the world – Southern California offers us great opportunities for engagement. From Thursday, March 2nd, through the weekend – from San Diego to Los Angeles to Palm Springs – staff from the Foundation, Athletics and the Alumni Association, joined by university leaders and many faculty members, will converge in meetings, social activities and events. A new event this year will help kick off the festivities, the DAM Straight Talk cocktail party, hosted by athletics director Scott Barnes, who will be joined by several former student-athletes. The annual awards dinner on Friday night will celebrate four of our most dedicated volunteers. For more information on all of the activities this week, Click Here.
The Foundation’s planning activities around a second comprehensive fundraising campaign for OSU continue. Thank you to members of the Provost’s Council and President’s Cabinet for your great input and discussion when members of our development leadership team joined your joint meeting in February. A few things in the works:
- Given that the university’s Strategic Plan 4.0 will play a big role in informing our campaign priorities, we are delighted Susan Capalbo, senior vice provost for academic affairs, and Roy Haggerty, associate vice president for research, will join the OSU Foundation board during Destination OSU for an interactive session on the university’s emerging vision for 2030.
- Foundation and university leaders will present initial recommendations from the taskforce charged with determining how best to fund advancement at OSU with the Provost’s Council in early March. Many thanks to taskforce members:
- Mike Green, interim vice president for finance and CFO
- Ron Adams, former interim provost
- Mitzi Montoya, dean, College of Business
- Steve Bailey, trustee, OSU Foundation Board
- Tod Perkins, trustee, OSU Foundation Board
- Mike Goodwin, president and CEO, OSU Foundation
- Steve Schauble, vice president and CFO, OSU Foundation
- Kevin Harvey, associate vice president for finance, OSU Foundation
- Jon Bettendorf, immediate past president, OSU Alumni Association Board
- Kelly Howard, finance director, OSU Alumni Association
- The Foundation’s new vice president for principal gifts ($5M+), Constance French, will meet with deans and other university leaders in the months ahead to discuss engaging our donors and potential donors at these levels as well as look at emerging opportunities for transformative investments, which will play a key role in the next campaign.
Engaging our many stakeholders through events and activities, and inspiring investment in OSU’s students, faculty and programs is only possible with your wonderful partnership. This engagement is worthwhile, because we know that 73% of past participants have made gifts back to OSU.
Mar. 2-3 – Destination OSU, Dana Point, Ca. (See more information on all events in Southern California at this link)
Mar. 8 – Provost’s Lecture Series: Robin Chase, founder of Zipcar, Corvallis
Apr. 18 – Provost’s Lecture Series: Maya Lin, artist and designer, Corvallis
Nov. 16 – President’s Dinner, Portland NEW!
Thank you for all you do. And I can’t close without congratulating the Beaver women’s basketball team on their Pac-12 championship and sending best wishes for this weekend’s games. Go Beavs!
SHAWN L. SCOVILLE
Executive Vice President
P.S.: OSU Foundation Email – On a final “housekeeping” note, the OSU Foundation is in the process of migrating to a new email system. During the next few weeks, all OSU Foundation email addresses are changing from the university’s “@oregonstate.edu” extension to the Foundation’s own “@osufoundation.org” extension. The .org domain reflects our distinct non-profit status.